View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
newby1961
Trudging that road.

Morning everyone,

Amy as you have probably read on some other posts we both frequent I have a new understanding of what you are going through w/SM but thank God I don't live in the house with my sister or I would probably be getting loaded right next to her.
So for the repeat of the story so please bare with me as others haven't heard it yet. I was going to post it last night but I just couldn't write about it any more.
So I get this call from my sister who had just spent several hours in the ER for those that don't know she has Cancer. Anyway this was for some new back issue that she has had for several days and it got to its breaking point yesterday. Well she has never been into narcotics vodka and wine yeah. So at the hospital they loaded her up with tons of pain meds enough to put a baby elephant down as she put it. The conversation went on and on about what kind, how much, blah blah blah. Now mind you narcotics are my DOC (drug of choice). So not only did I start having euphoric recall but at one point I didn't like what was coming out of my mouth. So after about 20 minutes and yes I waited that long, shame on me, I finally told her that this conversation was getting to my addict and we needed to stop. Well then I heard for another 10 or so minutes how sorry she was with this condescending voice. After I got off the phone I and then proceeded to beat myself up about how unsupported of a sister I was and how by almost 9 years I should be able to deal with these kind of issues and then I shut my phone off for fear of another call.
Now there is no way in Gods green earth that I could deal with this f2f so thank God I live 3K miles away.
So since I am new to all this co-dependent stuff I have not a clue on how the healthy way of dealing with this situation is? I think maybe doing what I did but not waiting 20 minutes right?
I really need some insight from some of you who know healthy vs unhealthy ways of dealing with these sort of problems because I know there will be more that crop up with her.
Hope everyone has a great day and thanks for the support it means so very much to me.