View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cuppycake

whispers and dementia

about 2 years ago I experienced an amazing year of sobriety and was feeling on top of the world---my sobriety was the most important thing to me--then---I met someone and fell hopelessly in love ---of course--he was an alcoholic.
But unlike the other aalcoholics I had dated over the years--he drank so heavily that one night after having lived with him for 4 months he claimed that he was hearing wispers and that they were coming from ME???!!
He claimed I was throwing my voice and saying awful insulting things to him---and that I was making him go insane.
of course I had NEVER in my life heard of this sort of madness and for a spell I even considered that I might be doing it in my sleep---but I quickly realized that there was no way that I was capible of that kind of cruelty.

Months of tears and screaming ensued and I finally moved out--but during all of the madness I saught the help of several doctors who specialized in drug addiction and NONE of them knew anything about what the wispers might be--UNTIL i read in the AA book that was given to me 3 friggin days ago. In there was a story called "tightrope" and it told a story of a recovered alcoholic retelling his experience with hearing wispers in his last days of drinking heavily...

WHY IS THIS NOT WIDELY KNOWN???I coul d have been spared a years worth of agonizing confusion had someone just simply said --a man who drinks a fifth of scotch every night is going to experience hullucinations and dementia!!
He still to this day drinks as heavily and claims that my wispering caused us to fail as a couple.....

Has any recovering alcoholic out there ever experienced this and if so---WTF???How do you go about treating it??????????Or telling the alcoholic that hes losing it???????