View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by uniquesituation View Post
hey I just saw this post. Yes,my tolerance has increased and I am on a slippery slope, no question. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that boredom isn't a reason to drink. Drinkings fun, it makes things fun. Thats why I drink. I do need to quit.

I have given a great deal of thought to causes that I could charitably work for. A great deal. The one thing I really like is kids. I love the times I get to babysit my ex biz partner / roomates kids, while he goes on vacation. They crack me up, they are so honest. But ... I can't quite think of a niche in the charity-for-kids-world that it would actually help any kids for me to occupy. If that makes sense.
It ain't a reason, it's an excuse. It may be worth looking at some recovery literature, like AVRT or SMART or Allan Carr's Easyway to stop drinking. I had a lot of warped thinking behind my drinking and I had to tackle that to stop me from picking up again.

That's great that you want to work with kids. You don't need a niche, there are a ton of charities out there who need help. Finding volunteer work isn't always very straightforward and can take a lot of time but that should help you from getting bored x