View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
uniquesituation

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
I didn't have a sense of purpose for a long time, either... I just went through each day feeling bored and lonely. I drank when I wanted to spice up my life a bit, when I wanted to escape from the mediocre existence I'd created for myself. Since I've quit drinking, I've had to find other things that do that for me and, thankfully, I've found my sense of purpose again. I did this by going back into education to learn a skill I've always wanted to learn. I am energised and motivated now because I feel like I have lots to look forward to in the future. Is there a skill you've always fancied trying your hand at but never given yourself the chance? If you have money, you have so many options, and for that you are very lucky.

Quitting alcohol was the best thing I could ever do to give me back that sense of purpose. Try it, you'll probably find the same is true for you, too
Thats not a bad idea. Thats a great idea. Maybe I should go and finish college. Ha! Thats not a bad idea.

The only challenge to that is that my first attempt at curing my boredom and trying to find a sense of purpose was to ... buy some businesses that were struggling in my town. I own 5 now that employ literally hundreds of people. I have gotten 4 profitable, the 5th is a very challenging and troublesome enterprise, which probably has saved 200 jobs. But ... the thing with business and employees is, and I promise, they will never thank you for your efforts. Employees are more like children than children. They are perpetual trouble.

But on my re-entry into business, I took a different tactic than the first time around. In each case, I found somebodyu that I believed in, and offered them a partnership in the biz if they ran it. 50/50 profit split, with me staying mostly behind the scenes. Its generally worked, the strategy, but it hasn't provided the sense of purpose that I hoped it did. Rationally, as these managers step up to run the businesses, I have realized that the best thing to do is to step back and let them be. So its their show, not mine.

Maybe I really should go finish college, even if there is no point to it.