View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
uniquesituation

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
A lot of people use the excuse that they drink because they're bored... as if the fact that alcohol is an addictive substance is absolutely nothing to do with it It sounds like your tolerance has increased and you're headed down a slippery slope. You'll find lots of support here for quitting.

I detest the word hobby. It sounds so well, hobbyish. The two things I do most is playing music and reading, but I wouldn't describe either of them as a hobby. Reading is just something I like and it makes me feel calm and relaxed, and music is my reason for living. I suppose teaching music is my hobby, but that also gives me a sense of purpose because I am able to pass something on.

What could you pass on to other people. Instead of looking for something so bland as a hobby, could you do something to help people. Have you got something you do well that you can pass on to other people. Or some charity work, a cause you can feel passionate about which will give your life a sense of purpose?

Welcome to SR x
hey I just saw this post. Yes,my tolerance has increased and I am on a slippery slope, no question. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that boredom isn't a reason to drink. Drinkings fun, it makes things fun. Thats why I drink. I do need to quit.

I have given a great deal of thought to causes that I could charitably work for. A great deal. The one thing I really like is kids. I love the times I get to babysit my ex biz partner / roomates kids, while he goes on vacation. They crack me up, they are so honest. But ... I can't quite think of a niche in the charity-for-kids-world that it would actually help any kids for me to occupy. If that makes sense.