View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uniquesituation

The risk of boredom

Hi all,

I have been thinking for a month or so that I drink too much. I will explain my situation a bit.

5 years ago today I became extremely wealthy. My first college roomate and I became fast friends in school, and later dropped out to save money to start a business. We failed, and failed again, but eventually we started a company that became a truly big deal, even internationally. 5 years ago today we sold it for enough money to become multi deca millionaires.

In the time since then, I have drank alot more than I did before I had money. I always liked drinking, he and I were party kids in college, but in truth, while we thought we were super hard core, we probably smoked a joint twice a week and drank twice a week, beer at that.

I've thought about it for a year now, and I have concluded that the real reason I drink is boredom. I have a great girlfriend, I've been a single parent for ten years and my son is doing great, but... I get so bored, so bored. My son is a teenager now, and we hang out less than we used to, and he has friends over to my house often. And I wind up leaving them with some space, and just sort of sitting around watching netflix. So on the 2-3 days a week that he goes to his Moms, I wind up extra-bored, and I get drunk to pass the time. Netflix is boring as hell, unless you have a drink, then its fun enough, if you can relate.

I know that its important that I quit drinking, I am starting to see some health effects, and life effects. But I don't know how to cope with the boredom, with having nothing to do every day. Please don't say "start another business", that is more difficult, more sacrifice, more loss of quality of life, more hours, and requires more dedication, than anybody who has not done it could realize, and I honestly don't know if I could ever do it again.

Thoughts? Sorry if the plight of a bored rich guy doesn't fly here.