View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
choublak

Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post
Humane. Kind. Compassionate. Ethical.

We should treat every kind of fatal brain disorder - mental illness, humanely, kindly and with ethics. We can't leave these fellow human beings to die on our streets alone and in agony. They are finding that there is a far greater recovery rate in a "wet house" then with forced sobriety that never works. They have AA meetings there, support and care. For God's sake, give these people a chance to get well and if they can't, allow them a humane, compassionate death.

Once you've seen for yourself 3rd and 4th stage addiction ANY doubt that it is a fatal disease leaves.

An unjust zillion $$$ war in the Middle East financed by my income for a decade? No thanks. Humane care for my ill neighbors - I can't think of a better place for my tax dollars to go.
I never said it wasn't a fatal disease. I understand it is a fatal disease.

If you google "Miami cannibal attack" or "Ronald Poppo", you will find part of the story saying that Poppo was a homeless alcoholic who, a few days before the notorious attack, had been approached by workers from the Miami Homeless Assistance Program who offered him the services of the Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust. Not only did he decline their services, he fought them off, trying to beat them and trying to spit on them. These workers on at least four occasions tried to get Poppo off the street and into a shelter. There are some homeless people who do literally fight to stay on the street. Especially in warmer climates. It seems humane to me to allow people to live their life as they like.