View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
firestorm090

The loneliness caused by alcohol is the most devastating loneliness I can imagine. It devastates all who are close to it.

I don't know how many times I googled "dealing with loneliness", only to find words that didn't relieve it at all. There is no way to describe the emptiness that feeling lonely leaves us with, it's like a hollow shell inside of us.

To my knowledge there is no special way to disspell the loneliness, however it can be dealt with. Sometimes that's all we can do. We deal with the struggles of life, and refocus our energies toward living life to the fullest.....from today forward. What happened last week is beyond our reach, but today is here and we can do better today. It only works that way, there is no other way to deal with it; loneliness, regret, shame, guilt, remorse, all can only be dealt with today, one day at a time.

In time, with great effort and determination, we begin to fill the void within us with approaches to life that work, we begin to fill up inside with joy for the opportunity to live today differently than we did yesterday. Then we become able to embrace the lonely times in our lives that allow us to fully enjoy the times of love and joy that we experience when we are with our significant others.

Loneliness is one place where love can begin, for when we learn to love ourselves, we are then able to love others as well.