View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
allforcnm

I have never heard of this before. I will admit that I would not want one near my home for fear of disruption in the neighborhood and worries about my young son, but really I am not troubled by the idea in general because sadly many alcoholics and addicts live and die on the streets alone, and in my way of thinking it just not right. Also it might have some impact on the reduction of crime, and other concerns that affect the general non-addicted society.

I would actually view this very similiar to many other services provided to addicts; for example clinics that provide free clean needles, or free vials of Narcan to reverse an opiate overdose; so they can carry it with them, or have available for friends who might overdose. If you want to argue enabling continued use; well these things might also be an example.

And then hmmm.. what about churches, and shelters offering free meals to those in need; a lot of them are addicts, or alcoholics. Wouldnt this also be enabling? Well technically I think it would by the common definition.

I actually view all of the above as more of a kind love, instead of tough love.
And in some cases, I can actually see where an alcoholic living on the streets, who then had the opportunity for shelter, a free defined amount of liquor, a bit of kindness; might actually begin to reduce his drinking and rely only on the freeebies, their life might improve if they were given a helping hand.

Of course just like everything else; it would have zero affect on some, and they would use it just as a flop house.

Hopefully funded by donations, as taxpayers should have a choice in all these matters.