View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
renaldo

new to the forum

I had a seizure 3 days ago, presumably from drinking and not eating for a couple of days, unless I'm developing epilepsy. I've had 3 seizures. In none of them do I remember what happened and saw no warning. I just regained consciousness on the ground or on the floor. Boy, did I hurt myself good this time. I'm afraid this is going to take months to heal. I have no health insurance anymore, so even if I did go to the emergency room of pay out or pocket, doctors are obliged to tell the Motor Vehicle Department of anyone who loses consciousness.

I went to the hospital the first time and was told that and that my license would be suspended for a year. The bureaucracy worked in my favor and the doctor forgot to report me. I was smart. I was going to pick up my restored license at the Motor Vehicle Department that day, but I didn't want to drive there in case I got stopped without my license on the way there. I hitchhiked there and was walking to the bus stop to go home when the seizure hit. If I had been driving it would have been disastrous.

With the price of treatment programs and being chronically unemployed, kicking the habit seems insurmountable. I've tried quitting a bunch of times and the longest I was able to do it was for a year. That was largely due to living in a country where hash was cheap and the beer was awful. I've been to an early recovery group at the hospital, a chemical dependency program, AA, and Smart Recovery meetings.

The thing is, bad things don't always happen to me when I drink, but I'm 49 years old now and my body is having a harder time handling it.

I've returned to therapy for a mere $30 per session, but I have cancelled 3 sessions in the past couple of months - 2 because I was afraid of having a seizure while driving, and the 3rd today because I did have a seizure.

The first seizure I had was from alcohol withdrawl. I had no bruises or pain whatsoever. The second time was from drinking and not eating much and again I had no bruises, but the chest muscles on my left side directly below the rib cage were very sore and took a long time to heal.

This most recent seizure this time I had been drinking mostly only beer with a few sips of water and eating nothing at all for a couple of days. The pain is again directly below the rib cage but on the right side. If I press it, it’s only mildly tender and as long as I don’t use those muscles it’s not that bad, but getting up out of a chair or bending over is excruciating. The pain has extremely hampered my ability to do the simplest physical tasks other than typing.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?