View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Loughborough

Hi, I don't know if this will help in your case or not, but a close friend of mine recently went through a divorce. This is in New York State, but she and her now exhusband used a mediator, and that kept everything amicable. They have a house, he kept that and bought her "half" from her, so she has that money....but he also has a number of assets that are "his," that he wanted to keep, that he did not want to sell, and actually did not want to sell because he did not want her to have half the money from them (also a 50/50 state here). My friend just wanted things finalized so she agreed that that would be fine, she didn't want the money, just wanted out, the mediator said that it COULD definitely be done, but they (or maybe just her), can't remember now, had to sign paperwork stating that she did not want the assets split 50/50, she was okay with him keeping "his assets" and not splitting with her.

So in the end, he definitely ended up with a lot more than her, but she is much happier now and in answer to your question.....yes, it can be done even without having attorneys involved.