View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
PerhapsLove

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
((Perhapslove)) - I'm both an RA and a recovering codie with loved ones still using. I can tell you that even when I was homeless, in and out of jail, etc. I knew I was loved. My reaction to dealing with ANYTHING, including the guilt of what I was doing to my loved ones was "get numb". It was absolutely never personal. I didn't use AT anyone, I used because I am an A.

Now, I live with my stepmom and dad - she's an A, he's an enabler. I recently decided to "prove" my gut was right - found 4 empty pill bottles of over 200 pills empty in less than two weeks. Guess what? Didn't matter. She came at me like I was threatening her life, and in essence, I was - I was threatening her addiction.

Now I remember why I had stopped trying to find proof of what I already know. I was her, at one time. I still can't help her because she doesn't want it. I can't help dad not enable her, either, as he doesn't want help. The best I can do is set boundaries and stick to them. If I slip, I get right back up.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
I'm always tempted to "check" for proof that she is doing the right things. But it's really disappointing and disheartening when I find out the opposite. My husband and I decided last night to remind each other when we express things that have anything to do with checking up on her. Hopefully, we can learn to stop that.

Thanks for the advice. I admire you for being able to set boundaries in your living situation. I am making that my goal.