View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello quillan, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by quillan68 View Post
... As with most things involving divorcing from my active AW, it isn't clear to me what to do in this situation. ....
I think what you need to do in that situation has already been done. Perhaps that is why it does not apear clear to you.

I divorce my ex some time ago. Once upon a time she was a lovely, wonderful lady. She became addicted to pain pills and everything fell apart. After we divorced I developed a nasty disease which I have been fighting ever since. Some days are awful, other days are good.

Just like you mentioned, I wondered if I should call my ex and tell her how sick I was. In my case it was just an old habit, I had always shared my life with her, good and bad. What I realized, after a few al-anon meetings, is that I has _already_ done what needed to be done.

This woman I had married was no longer capable of reaching out to me with kindness and compassion. She had at one time, but not anymore. What I needed to do, as a result of being diagnosed with a horrible disease, was to surround myself with good people and keep away from those who just make my life even harder.

I had already done what needed to be done. I divorced her and moved out of town. What I needed to do next was _reduce_ the stress in my life, not increase it. So I went to lots of meetings of al-anon, made new friends, got a new sponsor, started a new life. Taking care of my own life has made a huge difference. I have lived far longer and in much better shape than my docs predicted, I've seen new places and done things I never imagined I would. All of that simply because I followed a few suggestions I heard in al-anon.

My life isn't over just because my past life is over. My life is just starting because there's a whole new life starting for me right now. You can have a new life too, Quillan. Just look at the thousands upon thousands of people right here on this forum that are making a new life for themselves, one day at a time.

Mike