View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
If you're serious this time...get your ducks in a row. Try to make a copy of that check, along with copies of all W-2 or 1090 statements, the past 7 years tax returns, all bank accounts, any investments, copies of any and all proof of income and put them in a safe deposit box. Shut down any joint accounts and open new ones in your name at a different bank. Get a copy of your credit reports from all 3 agencies and then close down any joint cards and open new ones in your name only. Seek legal counsel and get a legal separation going ASAP, this will protect you from any of his future debt. Right now your adrenaline is pumping, but soon reality will set in and you will need time to mourn the loss of the marriage. Now would be a good time to double up on meetings and time in therapy.
I am seeing my therapist twice a week, my coda group once a week, and 2 meetings a week.

We have no more joint accounts, I have copies of his bank statements and I have filed personal bankruptcy. My state does not have legal separation but I will be filing for divorce and hopefully I can get a lawyer who makes him pay. I still need retainer money though.

Or my friend used a para-legal. I am in a no fault state. I could probably try it that way. I am sure I can do it myself. He has completely bankrupted us. I am letting the bank take the house because I refuse to be locked into a 5 yr chapter 13 with him.

It's time to rebuild on my own!!