View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mizzuno

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Mizzuno,
Congrats on being sober for more than a few weeks. I am sorry you feel unhappy. Being sober doesn't bring happiness with it, sometimes it is the absence of the fear and sickness physically, and emotionally, that lets us heal over time. Being unhappy sober has advantages over being unhappy drunk but masking it and not dealing with it only leaves a trail of trouble.

It took me three months to actually feel stable, and six months to start to see that my set of PAWS were going to heal after all. It takes a lot more time than we realize. Detox is only the start.

I have found that for me, numbness was not happiness. But it helped me avoid having to do anything about my own lack of happiness. No matter how much I drank, or how far I ran, I always brought myself with me. I never equated alcohol with happiness, just giving life the finger. Life gives it back for a bit when we first get sober. Some more than others. This too shall pass.
Yes. Walking into sobriety will not bring happiness. Wherever I go, there i am. When i stop to think about all that has been going on, I realize that there has been a lot on my plate of life. Heaps and piles of life. Life is life. I will take this dull feeling of unhappiness over drinking. You are right "This too shall pass" .... Thank you!