View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
supportforme

Reading your post brought chills to my spine. I also lived with the high functioning addict for years. I was the primary income and was fortunate to have my mom stay here when I was away on business. This disease progresses. I didn't listen to all the warnings that I received here. I always thought - no he would never do that. Unfortunately, I had a reality check earlier this year. He was pulled over for a hit and run, he got a dui, they found prescriptions on him. The police showed up at my door to search our home. I had to explain to our little boys about addiction. I agreed to have them search the home to prove that I had nothing to do with his actions. Then, federal agents contacted me at work to interview me. I have never broken the law, I am a senior executive for a major firm....addiction progresses. I cooperated with authorities to prove that I was a stable parent. I stayed in a marriage thinking that I would hurt my boys if I left. What I realized is that by staying I endangered the welfare of my children and their safety. Addiction has devastated us emotionally and financially. Thankfully, I have the strength and capacity to provide a stable life for my boys. Now, I'm in the process of rebuilding our lives. Please protect your son. He is not OK with an active addict. She is no longer in control and is trapped by her addiction. Please get yourself help - you will need it.