Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Quinne

Thanks everyone (as always!) for your quick responses

sugarbear, i'm really ashamed to admit that all I did was sit with her outside after and talk to her. I didn't broach the topic of how inebriated she was; the elephant was clearly bright pink and very much in the room I called out after her when she was leaving (several times), but she didn't respond. I think there was a fear on my part of "speaking out of turn". Which is just ridiculous, that was definitely my ego getting in the way :/ Unfortunately, I don't have my driver's licence-I haven't lost it, i've just never had it, i'm still on my Learner's permit-but this is *yet* another good reason to work toward it.

I called another member and spoke to her about it at length after I got home. I actually wanted to call this woman and make sure she got home safely. The advice I was given was that i'd be serving my own interests and it'd be best to call her the following day when she was (presumably) sober. So I did. Again, we didn't talk about the previous night and her brevity made it feel impossible to actually say something. Hindsight tells me I should've put more thought into what could've been said.

This other woman (tonight) was really quite hostile and I was actually afraid that saying/doing anything would've been a catalyst for her completely flipping out. Another member was trying to coax her into handing over her keys, it didn't achieve anything and she stopped pushing the issue rather quickly.

Such a humbling reminder-while I have respect for the fact that this woman tonight told the group quite openly that she'd slipped a few times in the last week, the way she spoke about how she didn't have the compulsion, the urges or the cravings since picking up and she would speak to her sponsor about whether she's really an alcoholic or not really hit home for me and I have no doubt, many of the other members too.

I hope she comes back.....I will be saying a prayer for her tonight

xx