Old 09-30-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Quinne

Drunk/tipsy people in AA meetings-safety?

Hi everyone,

As this is something that's happened at the same meeting two weeks in a row, i'd just like to ask for your opinions and experience with such a thing.

Last week, another member and I were very concerned for another's safety, she rocked up drunk, clung to another member, cross-talked and rambled a bit when we spoke outside.

This isn't where the worry stems from.

After the meeting, she jumped in her car and drove home.

The other woman asked for the Secretary's & another member's advice as to what to do and all that could really be said was "keep coming back".

I understand it, to a degree. Most people in AA i've met aren't particularly hostile and I can see that it would very possibly deter the person who has been drinking from coming back, be quite antagonising and it could escalate to a yelling match, which could damage any good that this person (or anyone else in that given situation) has gotten from the rooms thus far.

Our concern was that she was driving home half-cut and was putting herself in significant danger. Not to mention EVERYONE ELSE on the roads

Don't we have some kind of duty of care to other members as fellow human beings?

It seemed *really* trite that the best that could be offered was a half-arsed "keep coming back"

Thoughts?

xx