View Single Post
Old 10-30-2004, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jessieandme2003

Well, my "I will no longer..." list could go on for quite a while. :-)

But in the spirit of what Gabe has said, what am I going to DO to make my life better?

The one I think of right now is that I am going to get to know ME.
I have always changed myself to accomodate whomever I am with.
Reinventing myself at 22 to be instant Mom for my first husband's three small children.
Reinventing myself for my second husband (my AH) to be young and wild and fun and go to bars and play pool and be part of his world.
I did what they wanted, when they wanted, and nothing else. They chose who our friends were, what we ate, what we watched on TV, you name it. I just went along believing I was happy no matter what we did as long as they were happy. And it was harder for them to be happy unless they had things their way. I sawmyself as someone who was 'flexible'.

But now I suspect I just didn't see myself at all. I was just willing to pay any price for the companionship I craved.

I am taking time now to see myself, to identify what things I like, and then doing them.

I love deciding when I am going to eat, and what. I've found that I don't want to eat a big dinner, I always hated that actually. :-)
I love deciding what I am going to watch on TV (often Lifetime!). I am discovering I like all kinds of programs very much, even reality shows. I have a couple nights each week when I actually look forward to getting home and getting on my couch under a blanket to watch 'my shows'. What a concept!

I have recently embraced the part of me that wnats to travel.
I simply don't care about buying 'things' like other people might. I don't care as much about clothes, or jewelry, or manicures, or decorative stuff for my house.
The men in my life were so opposite, wanting THINGS. So I always suppressed this or was just frobidden saying it couldn't be 'afforded'.
But I would rather save $ to go on trips and see some places than buy most anything. Especially beaches!
So in two weeks I leave for Riviera Maya in Mexico. I am beyond excited! And last year I went for a week to Disney with Jessie, and we stayed in a Deluxe resort (woo hoo) and had the time of our life!
I love being able to just be that person, and not let someone else tell me it is wrong and I can't.

I am enjoying getting to know ME, and letting that person be herself and be in charge of herself.