Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
Now I have come across AVRT and done the crash course and have the book rashional recovery on order, can it be that simple I mean it all makes perfect sence to me but I feel that because of its simplicity it can't work!
How very interesting. I posted about how the idea that AVRT is "too simple" is pure Addictive Voice only a few days ago, in response to someone who said that because it was so simple, they were being very cautious and alert. Some people wondered about my response, and as if on cue, here you come along and provide another good example.

This will become more clear to you after you read the book, but since you've gone through the crash course, you already have a working definition of the Addictive Voice: "Any thinking, imagery, or feeling that supports or suggests the possible future use of alcohol or drugs -- ever."

Obviously, the idea that AVRT is "too simple to work", which really means that you can't possibly stay off alcohol and drugs that way, supports and suggests the possible future use of alcohol or drugs. So, it fits the definition of Addictive Voice. As soberlicious pointed out, your Beast sees a sh*tstorm coming down the pike. It knows that it really is that simple, and it is pumping BS at you in response to a very real threat to its existence. Just transpose the appropriate "I" pronouns to see this more clearly.

Original AV: I mean it all makes perfect sence to me but I feel that because of its simplicity it can't work!

Transposed: I mean it all makes perfect sence to me but IT (my Beast) is making me feel that because of its simplicity it can't work!

To the Beast, abstinence is death, and it will say anything to evade that bullet (or stake, if you prefer). One of the very first things the Beast usually says to AVRT initiates is that 'it can't be this simple', since the Beast needs to create doubt about their ability to quit in order to keep them from quitting. Your own Beast would much rather you wasted your time working on anything and everything except actually quitting once and for all.

Addiction is merely an argument against abstinence. Recognize the arguments, and you will be free from your addiction.