View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
keithj

Sel,
If you are reading the BB and trying to follow AA's principles, then it very much does matter that you understand the difference between a hard drinker and a real alcoholic, and that you identify, for yourself, which of those you are. That will get some on here all inflamed and defensive, but it was critical to my recovery in AA. Starting over on pg 20, the BB distinguishes between the moderate drinker (can take it or leave it alone), the hard drinker (physical dependency, health problems, etc.), and the alcoholic. I'll let you read that for yourself and see what your own experience tells you, but the key distinction made is that the hard drinker (who may drink just as hard as I do and my look very similar to me) can stop drinking if given a sufficiently strong motive. Maybe losing a job, or getting arrested, or a the threats of a loved one, or something is enough to get them to wake up and smell the coffee. These folks can do an about face and stop drinking. The alcoholic, on the other hand, will be absolutely unable stay stay stopped for long based on these circumstances or motivations.

For years, I was trapped by the delusion that because I knew the consequences of my drinking, I would be able to stay away from it. Absolute futility for what the BB calls a real alcoholic.

And I know some on here get all offended with that terminology. It's a terminology from the BB, that is echoed all throughout its pages, and is designed to shatter the delusion that I can or someday may be able to control my drinking. It's designed to force me to surrender and see that I have no defense against the first drink. It's a Step 1 device designed to force me into Step 2. If that's not your cup of tea, no problem, but it is the AA experience. I don't wish to discuss or argue it with anyone.