View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

If you have limited time and you have to choose where to invest it, I believe it should be individual counseling. Al-Anon is too slow, too much an unfolding awareness over time (remember, it is a spiritual program and does not address solving specific concerns during the meetings). Your situation is too acute, too intense. Your husband has your children in a state of terror and shame, he has you wound to the point of breakdown, and the tension is rising. Something is terribly wrong and I think you need a professional.

As suggested, you can call a local treatment center for recommendations or you could even call your family doctor and ask him or her to refer you to a counselor specializing in families with addiction. (Even though you are temporarily without insurance, if you have a family doctor, the office should be able to assist you in locating a counselor).

Al-Anon will be very good for the long term. But short term, you need some serious professional help. Counseling is also, of course, a long-term commitment for many people (I've been working with a therapist for 6 years). But people also consult counselors for specific advice about what to do in times of acute crisis. You are just lost right now. Your children are suffering. Please get some advice from a professional.