View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
WishingWell

This is a good time to remember that we're all unique! :-)

My husband and I started marriage counseling right after this relapse. And I can tell you that I WISH now that we had started this 8 years ago when this addiction reared its head. To say that it's been helpful is an understatement. I went by myself 4 years ago when I left and it was a Godsend. BUT what I love about this, when there are 2 of us there, this therapist can see how I interact with him. How he interacts with me, where we are derailing ourselves and not listening. Or where I am individually stuck in myself. Not soley about us but - me. For me, it's been more effective then going by myself where the therapist has only my word for it and can't watch how I function in the real world.

Personally - I think anything healthy that you can do, is a must. AA, Sober Recovery, Alanon, individual therapy, marriage therapy - do whatever you can. There is no cure for addiction and truthfully - "experts" don't really have a handle on what it is or how to help prevent it. We're all muddling through.

That's my 2 cents! I also think sleeping is a sign of depression. If he'll go to marriage therapy, I would grab it and go!! IF nothing else, you'll have help learning to communicate, you'll have another pair of eyes helping you understand and you may get the clarity YOU need. And that is worth it IMO!!!