View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
As has been pointed out there is a lot of difficulty in determining a success rate for any recovery program. Who is counted part of the program? What is success?
I agree. I used to believe that only 1 in 20 would make it to what I considered successful recovery (lifetime sobriety). However, I now see where something like half of those in recovery are achieving their goals. The real problem is that most of those in recovery have short term goals.

Many people simply have alcohol-issues. ie; lost license, lost job, lost spouse... etc...

They only get into recovery in thew first place because outside circumstances are pressuring them into it. They set a short and/or medium goal of getting their stuff back and than work a program just hard enough/long enough to achieve their goal.

My observation has been that at least half of them make it. Then stay sober a few more months on top of that to prove to themselves that they are winners. Unfortunately, after some waiting period, most end up going back to their old ways of living, socializing and drinking. Starting the whole vicious cycle all over again.

Do we count these people as successful or as failures?