View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

I decided that I could no longer live the life I had on Oct. 15th, 1999. I knew about AA from a business associate and golfing buddy. I didn't know what else to do so I went to a meeting and kept going. I paid attention to what the members of the meetings I attended told me they had done and with no better ideas, I did what they did.

In a very few weeks I will mark 13 years sober and I am quite content with life as it is. Drinking has not been an option for me since that Oct. day back in 1999. I could not see how drinking again would make my life better, therefore I didn't. I attend very few meetings, but when I feel I need to I do. It seems pretty simple to me, and when asked by others who are trying to quit I only have my only story so I tell it to them.

It was a struggle in the beginning, but the alternative was worse. Alcohol doesn't help my life, so once I quit I was done. I know several folks who have done the same. To answer your question; I know many people who quit and did not start again and these are people with decades of sobriety. I don't hang out with folks who went back to drinking because I don't drink. It is that simple for me, what others experience I can't really speak to.

Jon