Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Panacea

This is a fantastic thread EQ - and I thought I would revive it with a post. I would rank it as required reading for everyone on SR going through the first few days, weeks and months. There is wisdom in here for everyone!

My sobriety helpful hints would be:
1. Posting and reading on SR, especially when you are down or feeling low or tempted.
2. Reading up on your favorite sobriety method (AA, AVRT, etc) - a SR community recommended AVRT and a book called Sober for Good. Both were really helpful the first and second week.
3. Drinking liquids like a madman - I had/still have an oral fixation/physiological need to drink - so, I drank/drink a lot - almost anything will due. Water, tea, coffee, etc. Sparkling water is my favorite and I drink gallons of it a day.
4. Changing your normal routine - I now do not cook as much as I used to, as that is a huge trigger to drink for me.
5. Eating well - until I am satiated.
6. Taking a moment each morning and night to celebrate, reflect, and marvel on your accomplishments, your new found state of health, your resolve, the beauty of the world around you, your family and friends take your pick here or choose all as I do.

Panacea