View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blackstar

Question Not sure which 12 step to attend...

Hi, I'm in a pretty unique situation.

I used to go to AA meetings once in a while because I was a problem drinker, but I've been sober for a while now and really have my drinking under control, besides, I was never a "true alcoholic" and always felt a little out of place at AA meetings although they were very supportive.

I tried going to an ACOA meeting as I have used to struggle with my mom's drinking (also not a true alcoholic, but definitely dependent on alcohol) and have a lot of ACOA personality characteristics. I felt REALLY out of place here, everyone's story was so extreme, and I had a loving, supportive upbringing, but with codependency issues and lots of anxiety etc.

I'm thinking of attending an Al-Anon meeting because I am sober and all of my friends have distanced themselves from me since I stopped drinking and I am incredibly lonely and depressed.

I've also just thought of going to Emotions Anonymous but there's only one once a week in my area.

Basically, I am struggling with the loneliness that has come with being sober and away from my old social network and need support but I don't want to feel like an "imposter" at these meetings, especially if I'm not struggling in the same ways other people are there.

I love the support I would get at AA meetings, and being part of a fellowship really appeals to me, so if I could find a 12 step meeting that fit me situation better that would be great.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'm feeling really lost.

Thanks!