View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

He decided to go to AA

So, after AH's drunk mess in Las Vegas last night and his black out, he has finally decided he needs help. He sounded confused on the phone(as to why he can't stop on his own this time around), he apologized profusely, he admitted to a serious problem with drinking, and says he wants to commit to recovery.

He said he knows his marriage is basically over, but he wants to repair things as best as he can. He professed his love for me and for our family. He is discouraged by whom he has become and says he has a lot of introspection and thinking to do. He is going to call his old high school buddy whom he still keeps in touch with who was active in AA over 20 years ago(and sponsored many people over the years) and is a recovering drug addict. He asked me about meetings, etc and I was supportive on the phone and tried really hard to guard my words. I guess I don't want to open myself up very much because I don't necessarily trust him. He's said many of these things before, all except for committing to AA. He also said he'll go to meetings when he travels since he said he was drinking out of loneliness more than anything else.

He knows I won't trust his words and specifically stated that the 'proof will be in the pudding' and that he's grateful for me NOT enabling him and for letting him hit his bottom(or what he considers his bottom) on his own.

So, more will be revealed as we like to say here at SR. Any suggestions or advice for walking this path? If he starts really working recovery, what can I expect?