View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

Need a reality check!!

My husband is an addict! And I am codependent! Not a very healthy combination.

We both started working on our recoveries a few months ago. He relapsed and I had no idea. With his relapse, came more lies and manipulation to protect his addiction.

He detoxed again, which wasn't too bad because he hadn't been using much or that long. I did not enable him through it!! He claims he started to have doubts that he was truly an addict. He tested out "one is too many and a thousand is never enough" and found out YES, he is an addict and that statement holds true for him. Also, he struggled with the - never being able to drink again because drinking was not a problem for him. Yet, he had not drank and had no desire to. I don't understand that at all!

Anyway, he got very scared!! He surrounded himself with a strong support group and got a new tough sponsor because his former sponsor was really busy and worked out of town a lot. I see him reading his NA books, reading about spirituality, and writing in his steps note book. He is humble, remorseful and considerate to my feelings about it.

I told myself and others - that I would not ride the relapse, recovery roller coaster. I have made a plan B.

But now I am questioning it!! I am seeing my therapist today so that will help. My problem is the uncertainty of his disease and what the future holds. Living one day at time is not always easy!