View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post
I've been thinking about this debate - is it a disease or isn't it.

Does it really matter?

The medical profession, scientists across the globe don't even have all the answers after all this time and effort.

The bottom line is that some people have cravings that they cannot control. Cravings and additions that destroy their lives. Whether it's alcohol, food, drugs, cigarettes, gambling, shopping and on and on and on.

Look at all the over-weight people in America?! Is addiction narcissistic? Probably, yes. But it comes from an incredibly deep well of pain. Most people don't really want to hurt themselves and die from the horrors of an addiction.

Can't that be enough for us to understand?
I don't think it matters. I think it does help friends and family and all those affected by alcoholism to understand that there is a reason other than themselves for what alcoholics and addicts feel, think, and do. And "disease" helps explain that. As I said before, I think it's taken out of context though.

I personally do not care how much pain the alcoholic or addict is in. THEIR pain is THEIR problem. They often use it as an excuse for why they do what they do and for continuing to do what they do. I've heard it all and I can recognize it for what it is when it is coming from sickness...sooner or later.

Most people don't really want to hurt themselves and die from the horrors of an addiction.
I think this is a dangerous assumption.