Thread: What do I do??
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Titanic
Iceberg Ahead!

From "Hope for Today" September 9:
Al-Anon suggests I "Keep It Simple." I used to think keeping it simple meant doing whatever l needed to do to keep people from being angry with me. Not so! Keeping it simple means I don't have to do ten things at once so that everyone is happy. The slogan indicates I don't even have to think of ten things at once. Keeping it simple also implies that I can make decisions with my own best interests in mind. I don't need to complicate my life with guesswork about others' actions or feelings. Keeping it simple helps me say great phrases like, "I need some time to think about that" and "I'll need to get back to you with my decision." "I'm not sure," or "I don't know the answer to that" are also responses that work well.

Keeping it simple denotes I don't have to respond to the face of anger. I don't have to explain my motives to an irrational person. Keeping it simple suggests I don't have to take on someone else's guilt and frustration. It signifies that my integrity is protected and remains intact. Keeping it simple gives me time to enjoy the lovely, carefree things in life—like breathing deeply, smiling broadly, and laughing out loud.
Another possible response: I'm spending some time in a "mental ward' myself: at Al-Anon meetings where I'm learning to "Think" and focus on my own needs and recovery. I'll be in touch when I get out.