View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
What I find interesting is the split between professional scientists/doctors/researchers and the public. A majority of professionals view the disease concept of alcoholism as only one of many unproven theories. Meanwhile, the majority of the American public believe in the disease concept and accept it as a fact rather than as a hypothesis still being researched.

The problem is that addiction does not behave like a disease. There has not yet been any specific gene found that can be pointed at to say "this child is almost certain to develop the disease." There is no test that can be done to diagnose the disease either. Even a post-mortem examination is not able to show specific evidence pointing to the "disease" of alcoholism.

The problem inherent in classifying alcoholism as a disease becomes easier to show when we use the example of cigarette smoking. How many people view smoking as a disease?

So we either have to change the medical definition of "disease", or change the popular definition of alcoholism. Otherwise the split in opinion between the public, (which includes self-help groups), and the professionals will continue.
I don't really see or experience this divide regarding the disease model of alcoholism. There are several disease models of alcoholism and scientists have indeed found a genetic link to alcoholism and addiction in general.

I personally have found that many people misunderstand the disease concept of alcoholism and use it in their minds and thinking as an excuse for an alcoholic or addict's behavior. They also use it to feel sorry for the alcoholic or addict, and to justify their own caretaking and codependent behavior.

My opinion is, an ass is an ass whether he or she drinks or drugs, or not. To attribute selfish, assinine, or abusive behavior to the drink or the drug, or the disease, is fallacious.

People who cannot stop smoking are addicted to the nicotine. Nicotine changes the brain, just as all other drugs do. Drugs change the neurotransmitter receptor sites in the brain, which keeps the brain addicted to that substance until the owner of that brain can get themselves through the withdrawal long enough for the brain to repair itself. The rest, IMO, is habit, lifestyle, and choices.