Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Paul84

I know this is an old thread but just came back to the site after years. When I posted first my life was a mess - I had lost my girlfriend and was on my way to prison here in England and it was all down to my drinking.

Now nearly 5 years later I have a new life and am looking forward to the future. I recently passed out from Basic Training with the Army. I always wanted to join but with getting into trouble I thought I never would. But after years waiting I got accepted and here I am.

I'm 27 now and was the second oldest in my Platoon - one of the instructors was younger than me - but I made it through. After all the trouble I had got into I was so proud on the day of passing out. I just wished my Dad who was an Army man could have been there to see it as I know he would have been very proud. One of the worse things about going to prison was the fact that I missed out his last few months and had to go to his funeral under guard. My family were there to see it, my younger brother is an Officer, my Mother too and especially and my 4 year old. I was so happy that I could show Daddy doing something good.

Having to wait nearly 5 years to join and having to work to get fit again and to accept the discipline of training has made me know that this is what I really wanted in life and I just had to wait longer to get it - that makes it feel better.

I was the only one on my platoon who didn't drink and alot of the lads thought that was weird but they accepted it. The only negative thing is that I started back smoking since joining the Army but no one's perfect.

Thanks again to all who gave me good advice when I was going through bad times. Looking back I really do appreciate it.