Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Lara

Originally Posted by MrsDragon View Post
I have it in my heart, that he will never end his use of substances (permanently) until he is able to accept the loss, forgive himself , let go of the 'ifs', and find peace in his heart.
Dear MrsDragon... I know it is all so common cocaine addiction (H is a cocaine addict) - but every time I read about someone 'else's story it fills me with sadness. You never grow 'numb' to reading the stories - I suppose that is what makes us human (some of us)!
I do believe that if grief has played a role in the addicts life - that is is essential the grief is dealt with. Many people believe if we bring in the discussion of grief as a possible cause for the addiction - that we are simply making excuses for the addict - but I don't believe this is true. I know my dad's alcoholism was as a result of undealt with grief and massive post traumatic stress syndrome (he had been in the police force).
I know how the loss of my dad and brother (in just 18 months of each other) crippled me with grief. What made it even harder is that I always had a strong faith. Even the night my brother was killed - I absolutely KNEW (still do) that he was safe - that he and his beautiful girlfriend (they were both killed) were rescued by the Angels and everyone who had passed before (like my dad) would have been there - I really do believe this. So my spiritual being understood and was at peace. But my 'human being ' my 'intellectual mind' could not grasp the horror of the accident - or the horror of seeing my beautiful 6"5 tall brother, a triathlete - beautiful 'boy' with curly brown hair - dead! And all these years (he was killed in 2003) I still battle with that image.... and I know how I have escaped from the pain. Never drugs, but partying hard... drinking at times too much (binges)...
So anyone with a tendency towards addiction ( I really believe we are born with the makeup for addiction - or not) doesn't really stand a chance.
So if your son gets serious grief counselling - I do believe it will give him that extra chance of full recovery. I really do!
I pray for you and your son and his journey of recovery. Lara