View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DrunkTx

Higher Chances Of Success

I have been thinking about why some are able to quit no problem and others really struggle. I fortunately (for now) have fallen into the first bucket. But why? I can't profess to have all the answers or the secrets but I have observed this:

- when I was ready to quit I hated very specific traits about myself...as opposed to my situation. Self trait: I tended to harp on the negative in every situation. Situation: My friends use me....hopefully that clarification makes sense.

- I could directly see those self traits that I hated get worse with every drink. Actually, while drunk I was always happy, but lookout when I sobered up. I was a darn right arse of a human being: grouchy, vindictive, punitive, angry, resentful.

- I knew that the living i was doing was not consistent with God's intentions of humanity. I wanted to trust in people, not envy or resent them. I wanted to stop assuming the worst was always going to happen to me.

- My path to sobriety was actually a path to self healing. I was fortunate to be able to correlate alcohol with what I hated in me.

10 Months in, every single sober day brings me closer to accepting myself and allowing God to guide me to the human existence I hope to achieve.