View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by Jakkolantern View Post
No, it's not the AV. It's an acknowledgment that I'm strictly speaking about my past performance in this context.
If that is truly the case, then fair enough. Since you didn't answer any of my questions, though, I'm not entirely sure you got my meaning. Let me rephrase for clarity:

Is your past 'performance' indicative of future 'performance' in any way?

In other words, are you building up confidence over time regarding your ability to maintain perfect lifetime abstinence?

If so, then that is Addictive Voice. Why is it AV? Because anything less than 100% confidence in your Big Plan necessarily suggests the possibility that you might not stick to it, and that you might therefore go back to drinking. This is why, with AVRT, we recognize all self-doubt regarding our Big Plan as Addictive Voice.

Originally Posted by Jakkolantern View Post
I have my "big plan" in place just fine.

I'm an empiricist, after all.
Empiricism won't cut it here, because the AV will naturally demand "proof" that you can and will abstain unconditionally for life as a means to undermine your confidence. Of course, there is no way to empirically prove this until after you die. AVRT will naturally identify the classic "how can you know you won't ever drink again without proof" argument as AV.