Thread: Downward Spiral
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

Wow, reading this thread really brings back memories. Some of the stuff Slits wrote I could have written. I was drinking about a half gallon of vodka a day and eating valium like skittles . I was more dead than alive and had to be carried out of the house, couldn't even stand up at that point.

For me the fear and anxiety of getting help was so much greater than that of drinking myself to death. Unless you've been there it's really hard to understand that degree of anxiety. It's like being trapped in a tight little box, too depressed full of fear and anxiety to get help on the one hand and too sick to carry on with the drinking on the other.

I finally surrendered and called 911. Believe me, hospitals know how to deal with this kind of thing, they do it all the time. Geoffduke, with the length of time and amounts you've been drinking your best option is a hospital setting. I've been thru some home detoxes that were 9 kinds of hell and would never advise someone do it alone. Complicated with the severe anxiety and depression that goes along with that type of drinking it's just too risky.

Make the calls yourself or have someone else do it. My last drink was a little over 4 years ago and I've never looked back. The first year was a little rough but the anxiety and depression faded to nothing and life took on a whole new meaning. It can be done, just screw the anxiety and get some help. All of this can become dusty pages in the history books but you have to take some steps to make it happen. I wish you all the best going forward.