View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sugarfix

Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
Welcome to the site, I am glad you are here

The particular bit I have quoted, interested me. It worries me how people don't take alcohol seriously, people think if you're not drinking on a night out there is something wrong with you. I don't know how it is in America for the American posters on here but in the UK I would say there is a massive problem with alcohol and the crux of it is because the idea that it should be the centre and/or the main reason of social activity has been engrained into people's mindsets, in my opinion. There needs to be a complete attitude change here, many people could save themselves a load of trouble if we just treated alcohol with more respect and didn't act like it is safe because it is legal. People forget that's it's a hard drug. Again this is just my opinion.

Sorry for the rant

Good luck in staying sober, many of us in similar positions on this board.

It is definitely not being taken seriously enough. I have quite a few friends, and alot of acquaintances.. and every day on Facebook you see the hangover status'.. the 'never drinking again' status... the 'yay its Friday, time to get wrecked' status'. The mindset seems to be... the weekend is for getting drunk.

Lots of people are battling with alcoholism but don't even realise it.

People drink from boredom. You go for a meal, you drink. You go the pub, to drink. You go to parties, BBQ's , charity events, football events, everything has alcohol! Even the churches dish out Wine (am joking)

And I saw the funniest picture on facebook this morning.... was a lad who was holding a beer but naked from the waist down, and his friend was holding his penis!!!! It was tiny and there were 40 comments on how tiny it was, how it must be cold.... lots of comments laughing!! That lad will have sobered up this morning and been absolutely mortified!!

Also, people drink every night and say it's to 'relax' - this is justified to them. But you don't need alcohol to relax.

In my opinion, my body starts to crave alcohol around the same time every night because that is what time I have got used to having a drink... which is what keeps me drinking.

I feel anxious at the moment, though I have just had a cigarette whilst wearing a nicotine patch (doh!).. so am going to have a bath and keep telling myself it will all be better tomorrow.. I tell myself this every day!

The UK needs to wise up and adopt a more sensible attitude to drinking before it's way too late. No wonder they call it Boozy Britain!