View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sugarfix

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Haha, no it doesn't does it!

I've had a few people giving me a hard time for quitting but the longer I ignore them the easier it gets Now it barely bothers me. And I did have to practice saying 'no thank you' whenever I knew I would be in a situation where someone would offer me a drink... it's so hard to get out of the habit of saying 'yes please'! That might sound silly but people do slip because they don't know what to say when someone offers them a drink (No, thankyou, no thankyou...) x

I'd highly recommend joining the 'Class of September' thread here x
It's definitely easier to say 'oh go on then, just the one then' instead of 'no thanks' but it's doing that, that makes it all start over again!

I honestly think that everyone I know who drinks alot is an alcoholic! The evening Wine drinkers think they are more civilised than the beer and shot drinkers though haha! (in my circle anyway, am not denigrating Wine drinkers sober or not) 'I only drink Wine at night to relax' - yeah, didn't we all

Where will I find that thread?

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome to SR Sugarfix....First of all...Take it easy on yourself....We aren't bad people....We are good people with a bad problem...A problem that is progressive so the sooner you get a handle on it the better. I use the Program of Alcoholics Anonymous and I've gone from a hopless drunk to almost 15 months without a drink. It asks two yes or no questions in the big book that I had to look in the mirror and honestly answer....

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.

Can I stop drinking on my own?....entirely meaning completely.
Or
Once I start....Can I control the amount I drink?

Notice the word probably....I had to honestly answer that question to that person in the mirror myself....I am an alcoholic....Right now a recovered alcoholic. Try something different....Go to an AA meeting and see if you relate to it....Try a couple. The first one I went to I knew I was home. You can read the Big book and listen to some audio tapes on this site....You never know...It could be the answer for you.
Well done you! 15 months is a long time! I only managed that length of time when pregnant! Think my longest is a year.

I binge drink for months then quit, then back on it. Then quit again. That doesn't make mean I have any less of a drink problem than anyone else though.. it just means I have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol! :/

I might think about an AA meeting, have joked about it in the past.. but it's close to what I think I need right now!