View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sugarfix

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Welcome to SR Sugarfix

It certainly seems like alcohol is everywhere when you first quit. That was my overwhelming impression too. I had built a life for myself around alcohol... I have a lot of big drinking friends and colleagues and my family were always big drinkers. But when I quit and 'came out' to my family, suddenly they all quit or seriously cut back too! And when I went to see some old friends they really wanted to drink but didn't because I wasn't. I started to realise that they all used me as an excuse to drink as much as I used them.

That said though, it is really tough to be around it early on so could you minimise you contact with alcohol...? I found it best for me to stop going out for a bit until I was more comfortable sober, and also, I was exhausted too so having a bit of down time to recover is probably the best plan.

Have you looked into getting support too? It helps to have other people around who know what you're going through.

Glad you're here x
Thank you

If I say I am not drinking, my friends ask me if I have banged my head! My housemates offer me beer... I usually cave in! I will be living alone again very soon and so there wont be any alcohol in the house, but my housemate is an alcoholic too (though he doesnt think he is!)...

.. I wont be going out anywhere now until Christmas that serves alcohol and will be avoiding it as much as possible. Summer is always a tough one because everyone lives in the pretty beer gardens! But summer is over now.. and just Christmas to get through!

I despise the drinking, hate myself for doing it and wake up every day feeling guilt and shame for doing it!

It's easy to just pick up another drink and say 'I'm not a real alcholic, it's fine. I can drink this and none the next day' - but it doesn;t work like that at all!

Time to stop kidding myself