Thread: Lucky Me
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EAE

Lucky Me

No, seriously. I feel lucky, and I'll tell you why.

It boggles my mind that there are so many people out there who lead normal healthy lives that don't appreciate what they have. The bright side of being an alcoholic, is that every sober day that we live presents itself as a gift. For example, the food that the US donates over seas to African countries takes the form of a mash - something most would deem inedible. To them, however, it is a miracle - something that keeps them alive and sustains their family. Without the absence of food, however, we aren't able to look at what they have in the same light, just as someone who isn't an alcoholic may not be able look at what some would call a "normal" sober life life as enthusiastically as we can. I've been lurking for some time now, and it is amazing to me how many of you truly appreciate the simple things in life, and I want to be a part of it.

I'm new here. 8 days so far. I won't let myself get to the point again where I can't see the truth - that every single day that we are able to stay sober is a miracle.

-EAE