View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

My motto has been to hope and pray for the best, prepare for the worst. I don't mean to sound like "debbie downer" but I'm both an RA and I have loved ones who are A's - some are in recovery, some aren't.

Early recovery is tough, both for the RA and the loved ones. I, personally, didn't want to talk about my addiction at all, for a while. My dad would ask me "are you having any cravings" and I'd say "gee, I wasn't even thinking about it until you brought it up!". I was rude, snappy, emotional and just wanted to put the past behind me.

5-1/2 years later, I'm STILL dealing with my past (some consequences last a long time) but my family has learned what my life was like in bits and pieces. It took time for them to trust me, but I understood that - in large part because I'd been lurking here for a couple of years and I knew what the loved ones went through.

Now, it's kinda funny. On my last "birthday" I told my dad and stepmom, who I had put through pure he!!, "I've got 5 years clean today" and they both were really happy, but also said "5 years? I thought it was longer than that!".

That's because my ACTIONS speak recovery. I don't see any wrongdoing in being positive, I just think it's a good idea to always keep in mind that actions speak louder than words ever will. I wish you both the best of luck!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy