View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Centurion002

My educated guess would be.... probably no alcohol. I'm a microbiologist... but I do more with viruses than bacteria.

The bacteria that you added to the milk would break down the glucose via fermentation into lactic acid. There are two pathways this can occur-- one which produces only lactic acid and the other which produces some lactic acid, carbon dioxide, and ethanol. And you can do a little bit of both.

I'm assuming the bacteria you were provided (I'm also assuming this is a DIY kit or something) have been selectively cultured or altered with some recombinant DNA, to exclusively take the pathway which produces JUST lactic acid. Bacteria that produce ethanol as a byproduct may not even survive the milk/yogurt environment.

As far as booze production goes, they use yeast (a fungus) pretty much 99% of the time in a whole lot of glorified sugar water.

I can do a little research into it, if you'd like. But I'd say you're good to eat it, as long as you feel comfortable.

Last edited by Centurion002; 09-14-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: can't spell and changed a sentence