Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

"I can do this on my own if I have to."

You can't. You will need some help. Someone with you at the hospital, someone to leave the hospital with you, someone to help you during the first week at home with the child, someone to call on during the first month with the child.

An alcoholic who cannot control his drinking will be an unreliable source of support.

I suggest you call Oregon and get someone out to Chicago for the delivery and the first week home. If no one is available, then I suggest you call a local home health agency and have a C.N.A. lined up to help you.

Those of us who have delivered babies know how vital it is not to be completely on one's own during labor, childbirth, and the week following.

If your husband shows up when you need him during those times, and he is sober, I would accept his assistance and participation. However, if he takes even one drink during the time of labor and delivery and the first week at home, he will not be able to stop drinking. He will not show up as promised. Or, if at home, he will not "cover" for you while you get some sleep. (You will be exhausted). He will instead be drunk, if he takes one drink. An alcoholic cannot stop at one. I would not count on him but I also urge you not to use this event in your life as leverage to control him or try to force him to get clean and sober. It will not work. When you fully understand addiction, you will understand why.

Please secure solid help now, for labor, delivery, and the first week home. He may be a part of the events, but he may also be completely unavailable. Alcoholism is the inability to control the compulsion to drink. It is a disease that causes a person to drink against his will. So you cannot count on your alcoholic husband.