View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BeavsDad

Originally Posted by Hangin' In View Post
KariSue,

Welcome to SR. There's great support here, so I hope you'll stick around, read and post some more. If you haven't already read the "stickies" at the top of the page, do so. There's great info in them.

I'd recommend you try and find an Al Anon or Nar Anon meeting in your town and attend. Meetings have helped me tremendously and I know I'd still be miserable if I hadn't added them to my life.

One of the best things I've learned in MY recovery (I'm recovering because my daughter is an addict. She is addicted to drugs and I am addicted to her.)is to set my boundaries. I had to learn that my daughter living in my home only caused both of us great stress. You son is an adult, so I think you must treat him as one despite his using. Maybe give them a deadline to be out of your house, say 2 weeks.

Bottom line is your son will never get back into his recovery as long as you make his life comfortable while he is using. And I say that with such love because I have been that mother who was the chief enabler.

KariSue, you say you're stuck in the middle. Well, no one can move you but yourself. You can take yourself out as soon as chose to do so. It took me a while to realize that, but it's true. I learned about the "truth" of recovery at meetings and on this board. I hope you'll find a meeting.

Hugs and prayers for you and your family,
Hangin' In
This is the first person to ever respond to your situation, back in Jan 2008.

Anything added since then has been redundant.

Nothing changes...because nothing has changed besides the name of the significant other.

You guys are still as addicted as he is. Good luck.