View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
JohnnyOneDay

Sneeker,
Welcome to SR!!! I agree with many of the comments. Your background sounds just like mine. Sneaking alcohol into the house, thinking wife does not know when I'm drinking. Suffering from bouts of depression. Difficult seeing my life without social drinking. Recreational drug use in college/younger years. Kids at home that need more than a drunk dad.

Well, I used to be like that, then I progressed over 30 years to drinking EVERY DAY, sneaking, getting wasted. Alcohol slowly took over my life. This summer, I decided that I had had enough. My sobriety date is 8/1/12... so today is my 45th day sober!

I would suggest that you address this issue head on now, before your kids are all grown and out, and you risk losing your wife, your health, your business, and much more. (My 3 kids are all teenagers now, and I regret that I missed out on so much of their development over the years.). Have you considered AA? Going to meetings regularly has helped me immensely. After years of heavy daily drinking, for me it just got to be too overwhelming. Now, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

I'm glad you are here at SR; you will get lots of great support. Keep coming back and posting updates!