View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Titanic
Iceberg Ahead!

Originally Posted by Hopeworks View Post
My parents were extremely dysfunctional but high functioning in that they did not require caretaking but my father was highly dangerous when drunk and was completely emotionally unavailable when sober or drunk. ...

I just now "see" the whole picture so clearly. As a child I could not "rescue" anyone... not me... not my parents...not my siblings. I subconsciously still try to go back and rescue my childhood and keep looking for love from my dad who never gave it. ...

We are all different and respond differently to the challenges of dysfunctional childhood. I am survivor and highly successful in other areas of life... relationships are disastrous choices on my part. ...

I now know that my brain had so much fear as a chld that it cannabalized and destroyed parts of my brain that produce a fear response. ...

Our brains are altered. Our chemical responses are different. We need to understand that connection to keep us working on the logical side of things instead of the "feelings" side because I know my "feelings" are way broken! ...

Anyone else drawn to the tall, dark, handsome guy that has a capital T on his forehead?
From http://www.adultchildren.org/lit/Laundry_List.php:

The Laundry List.jpg

Also check out The Solution link (on the Home page), which references not only alcoholic but also other dysfunctional upbringing.

And "T" means what?
Mr. T as in the A-Team?