View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
whatsgoingon

How should I go about it? Do I just stop drinking or do I start cutting down?

I have been thinking about going to the GP but to be honest I just don't want to. I'm afraid that people will find out what is going on and I'm quite a private person so i think that would make my situation worse.

Its just a vicious circle. I get depressed, anxious or stressed and I want to drink. The next day I feel **** about the drinking and then feel guilty and ultimately depressed again. The cycle goes on and on and on. What scares me the most about the depression and the drinking is actually 'coming out' to the people that matter like my wife and family. I don't want to disappoint them and I don't want them to worry about me and I don't want them to treat me differently. I don't want to be constantly scrutinized and watched either.

I'm going to try to not drink tonight and see how it goes. Easier said then done because right now I really feel like having a drink. I'll have a go anyhow, nothing to lose. If drink tonight I'll try again tomorrow.

I think that some kind of talk therapy might help me. I have heard about CBT and NLP, not 100% sure what either are but I like the sound of someone trying to help me rather than get prescribed drugs.

It is hard enough to admit you have a problem, its even harder to have 'that' conversation with someone close to you. Scary stuff. I think I could probably tell my wife that I have depression, don't think I could tell her about the drinking.