Thread: lost
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
PrayingMama

Hi, and welcome from another mama. I am the mother of a 21-year-old RAS (IV heroin), so my heart goes out to you. As others have posted, meetings are essential. When I first started attending, I actually went to open NA meetings (no Naranon in my area). It was life-saving, full of love and compassion and information and insight--and these were meetings for addicts themselves (though, because of the "open" designation, anyone can attend).

I also attend Alanon (excellent), but Families Anonymous is my "home." Most parents, but often the offspring are dual diagnosis, meaning they have been officially diagnosed with a serious psychiatric disorder (depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline personality). The strength and empathy in those rooms is what will heal you and transform you. I can't stress it enough. Whatever meetings are available in your area, please give them a try. No need to speak. Just listen if that's what you need. Or share your pain, if that seems to be what you need to do. You will be welcomed, tended to, comforted and strengthened. Not many places you can go for all of that.

I pray God grants you a clear head and a calm heart. You will need it as your plate is indeed full. But you must first tend to yourself and your well-being.

Blessings.