View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by DesperadoBlond View Post
These last few days, I have finally been feeling like I am ready to try and tackle my anxiety issues from another angle. I'm trying to maintain a list of things that bring me anxiety and then I try to figure out ways to eliminate them as far as possible from my life.

I am almost 30 and I have a profound desire to get off this crazy rollercoaster I've spent almost 10 years on. I'm usually very bad with long term fix kind of things. I get bored and don't keep doing the right things if they have to be done in small steps that don't immediately lead to something.

I guess what I'm missing right now is still "an action plan to keep me from relapsing". I've been doing urge surfing for the past couple of days and it's been working well.
You sound like me DB I wanted immediate results too, even quitting drinking I thought should fix everything more or less straight away! I had to let go of that to stop me from going insane. Just take each day as it comes and do what you have to do to stay sober. I mix up the long term plans with the short term ones to stop myself getting frustrated. Have you looked into support yet?

Regarding anxiety... I'm a few years older than you and I was absolutely shocked that my anxiety was getting worse as I got older! I was socially awkward as a child and painfully shy and all that but in my late 20s I was getting daily panic attacks, vertigo, dizzy spells, a whole load of anxiety related health problems... I was bordering on agoraphobic towards the end. I stopped doing a lot of stuff because I didn't feel safe unless I was at home drinking. It was all alcohol. I didn't really need to stop doing all those things that seemed to bring on panic attacks, I just needed to stop drinking!